NOTE: This blog post pertains to international applicants who apply for Master’s programmes at BI Norwegian Business School. Click here if you are an applicant for Bachelor’s programmes.
Are you are considering to apply for a Master’s programme at the #1 business school in Norway but worried about financing your studies? Not sure whether you qualify for a scholarship? Don’t worry! This blog post is to answer some of the most common questions about scholarships available at BI Norwegian Business School.
“A degree from BI is a plus on my resume. A scholarship from BI will make you stand out from the crowd and even impress companies”
– Pham Thu Ha from Vietnam, MSc in Business – major in Leadership and Change, Presidential Scholarship recipient
What types of scholarships are available?
“Education is a right, not a privilege” – recognising that everyone should have access to a quality education, BI Norwegian Business School offers generous scholarship opportunities to applicants for both Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes.
Several types of scholarships are available to those applying for Master’s programmes:
- BI Presidential Scholarship: awarded to applicants who possess an outstanding record of superior academic achievement and is open to both Norwegian and international applicants. For international recipients, the scholarship will cover full tuition fees and a stipend for living expenses for each semester, for up to two years, if the student achieves the academic progression requirements.
- Master of Science International Scholarship: awarded to applicants with a strong academic record and is open to international applicants. The value of the MSc International Scholarship varies. Some scholarships cover partial or full tuition for the first year only while others can cover partial or full tuition for up to two years if the student achieves the academic progression requirements. Some MSc International Scholarships may also include a one-time stipend to assist with living expenses in the first semester.
- Master of Science International Scholarship – Bergen: awarded to applicants with a strong academic record and is open to international applicants accepted in the MSc in Business programme at Campus Bergen. The value of the MSc International Scholarship varies. Some scholarships cover partial or full tuition for the first year only while others can cover partial or full tuition for up to two years if the student achieves the academic progression requirements. Some MSc International Scholarships may also include a one-time stipend to assist with living expenses in the first semester.
- A. Wilhelmsen Foundation Scholarship: awarded by the A. Wilhelmsen Foundation to support international students in their pursuit of an MSc degree at BI Norwegian Business School. The value of this scholarship is NOK 150.000 annually, and scholarship payments to the student for each semester are dependent on satisfactory study progression.
- BI Norwegian Business School / QS Scholarship: awarded to applicants with a strong academic record who visit the BI Norwegian Business School booth at a QS World Grad School Fair. The BI Norwegian Business School / QS Scholarship covers full tuition for the first year of studies and may be renewed for a second year.
Are you wondering about scholarships for Bachelor’s applicants? Check out another blog post here.
Am I eligible to apply?
Our scholarships are merit-based and are therefore awarded based on your academic achievements. You need to have a strong academic record to be eligible for the scholarships.
Note that the BI Presidential Scholarship is open to both Norwegian and international applicants, while the other scholarships are open to international applicants only.
International candidates who are eligible for a regular student loan through the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund may apply for the BI Presidential Scholarship only. Such candidates do not qualify for a stipend for living costs.
How do I apply for a scholarship?
- Step 1: Write a scholarship application letter in which you should explain why you deserve to receive the scholarship
- Step 2: Include the scholarship application letter in your application for admission via the Application Portal
Note: if you are applying for the BI Norwegian Business School-QS Scholarship, you must submit your application via the QS website by April 1
- Step 3: Wait for the results! It may take a while because the Scholarship Committee needs to evaluate a lot of deserving applications
“Make sure you have all the documentation ready, including transcripts from your Bachelor’s and exchange if you have done any, as well as the scholarship application letter. After you submit the application, be patient because it will take some time for the Scholarship Committee to make a decision. If you are awarded a scholarship, you will receive a contract which you need to sign and return back within the specified period”
– Nataliia Petromanova from Russia, MSc in Finance, MSc International Scholarship recipient
When is the deadline for applying?
The deadline for applying for the BI Presidential Scholarship, Master of Science International Scholarship, Master of Science International Scholarship – Bergen and A. Wilhelmsen Foundation Scholarship is March 1.
The deadline for applying for the BI Norwegian Business School / QS Scholarship is April 1.
Writing a good scholarship application letter takes some time, so plan accordingly. Don’t leave it to the last minute.
Can I apply for more than one scholarship at a time?
Yes, you can. However, BI Norwegian Business School will award only one scholarship per student.
You can submit one scholarship application letter for consideration for the BI Presidential Scholarship and Master of Science International Scholarship. If you applied for the BI Norwegian Business School / QS Scholarship, please indicate that in your scholarship application letter.
Note that if you want to be considered for the A. Wilhelmsen Foundation Scholarship, you must write a separate scholarship application letter for this specific scholarship, addressed to the A. Wilhelmsen Foundation Board.
What are my chances of being awarded a scholarship?
This depends largely on the quality of your application, as well as on the competition. Our scholarships are highly competitive, but as they say: “Better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all”.
What should I include in my scholarship application letter?
In your scholarship application letter, you should outline why you are deserving of this scholarship. There is no specific approach to write it, and what worked for one student may not work for you. It is important to be yourself and show the Scholarship Committee who you really are.
But here some tips on how to write a compelling scholarship application letter from QS. You should outline your main strengths from an educational and professional perspective, your plans for future career growth, why you would be suitable for this scholarship, and how you would benefit if selected. Try to have a clear, concise and structured flow, and remember to check for spelling and grammar mistakes. You can ask a friend to read your letter before sending it.
“In your scholarship letter, try to explain your motivation for studying at BI and in Norway, why you deserve a scholarship and how you are going to utilize this scholarship”
– Francisco Jose Barbosa Escobar from Nicaragua, MSc in Finance, Presidential Scholarship recipient
Are the scholarships renewable?
It depends on the scholarship type. Some scholarships are renewable, while some are not and cover partial or full tuition for the first year only. If your scholarship is renewable, you must achieve the academic progression requirements in order to maintain your scholarship. Refer to your contract for more details.
What are the academic progression requirements to maintain the scholarship?
- Full study progression (30 ECTS) in each semester.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of a “B” on the BI ECTS scale after completion of each academic semester.
- Candidates who are awarded a scholarship must be prepared to be “BI Ambassadors”, acting as spokespeople, assisting in recruitment efforts and promoting a good study environment.
Refer to your contract for more details.
If you have any unanswered questions about our scholarships, do not hesitate to contact us. Our email is email@example.com.