NOTE: This blog post pertains to international applicants who apply for Bachelor’s programmes at BI Norwegian Business School. Click here if you are an applicant for Master’s programmes.
Are you are considering to apply for a Bachelor’s programme at the #1 business school in Norway but worried about financing your studies? Not sure whether you qualify for a scholarship? Don’t worry! This blog post is to answer some of the most common questions about scholarships available at BI Norwegian Business School.
What types of scholarships are available?
“Education is a right, not a privilege” – recognising that everyone should have access to a quality education, BI Norwegian Business School offers generous scholarship opportunities to applicants for both Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes.
Two types of scholarships are available to those applying for Bachelor’s programmes:
- BI-International Baccalaureate Scholarship: awarded to students who graduate from the International Baccalaureate® (IB) programme with a strong academic record and is open to both Norwegian and international applicants. The scholarship will cover 100% of the tuition fee, pending the student achieves the academic progression requirements.
- Bachelor International Scholarship: awarded to students with a strong academic record and is open to international applicants only. The scholarship will cover 50% of the tuition fee, pending the student achieves the academic progression requirements.
Are you wondering about scholarships for Master’s applicants? Check out another blog post here.
Am I eligible to apply?
Both scholarships are merit-based and are therefore awarded based on your academic achievements. You need to have a strong academic record to be eligible for the scholarships.
Note that the Bachelor International Scholarship is open to international applicants only, while the BI-International Baccalaureate Scholarship is open to both Norwegian and international applicants.
International candidates who are eligible for a regular student loan through the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund are not eligible for the Bachelor International Scholarship.
How do I apply for a scholarship?
- Step 1: Write a scholarship application letter in which you should explain why you deserve to receive the scholarship
- Step 2: Include the scholarship application letter in your application for admission via the Application Portal
Note: if you are applying for the BI-International Baccalaureate Scholarships, you must also give BI access to your official transcript of grades by 1 May
- Step 3: Wait for the results! It may take a while because the Scholarship Committee needs to evaluate a lot of deserving applications
“Before you apply, make sure you have read all the relevant information online about the scholarship you are applying for and prepare the documents needed. While applying, present what makes you different and eligible in a formal but genuine way. If you have been selected as a scholarship recipient, make sure to read the contract carefully and understand your responsibility. As a scholarship recipient, one of the responsibilities is to maintain your semester average grade above B. For me, it is a great motivation to work harder and perform better during my study at BI”
– Tzu Wei Yang from Taiwan, Bachelor of Business Administation – specialisation in Finance, Bachelor International Scholarship recipient
When is the deadline for applying?
The deadline for applying for scholarships is March 1. Writing a good scholarship application letter takes some time, so plan accordingly. Don’t leave it to the last minute.
Can I apply for more than one scholarship at a time?
Yes, you can. However, BI Norwegian Business School will award only one scholarship per student.
What are my chances of being awarded a scholarship?
This depends largely on the quality of your application, as well as on the competition. Our scholarships are highly competitive, but as they say: “Better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all”.
What should I include in my scholarship application letter?
In your scholarship application letter, you should outline why you are deserving of this scholarship. There is no specific approach to write it, and what worked for one student may not work for you. It is important to be yourself and show the Scholarship Committee who you really are.
But here some tips on how to write a compelling scholarship application letter from QS. You should outline your main strengths from an educational and professional perspective, your plans for future career growth, why you would be suitable for this scholarship, and how you would benefit if selected. Try to have a clear, concise and structured flow, and remember to check for spelling and grammar mistakes. You can ask a friend to read your letter before sending it.
Are the scholarships renewable?
Both BI-International Baccalaureate Scholarship and Bachelor International Scholarship are renewable, pending the student achieves the academic progression requirements. Refer to your contract for more details.
What are the academic progression requirements to maintain the scholarship?
- Full study progression (30 ECTS) in each semester.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of a “B” on the BI ECTS scale after completion of each academic semester.
- Candidates who are awarded a scholarship must be prepared to be “BI Ambassadors”, acting as spokespeople, assisting in recruitment efforts and promoting a good study environment.
Refer to your contract for more details.
If you have any unanswered questions about our scholarships, do not hesitate to contact us. Our email is email@example.com.